Jeremy’s musical career began in canterbury cathedral…
Where he was Senior Chorister, and later studied music at Liverpool University. He spent five years as Music Editor at the Royal National Institute of Blind People, where he was responsible for transcribing print music into Braille.
In 1986 he joined EMI Records as a Literary Editor and from April 1990 combined his work as a Consultant Editor for EMI Classics and later Boosey & Hawkes Music Publishers with his career as a freelance conductor.
- “There’s no questioning the care & sensitivity of Jeremy Backhouse’s approach… it reaches the very heart of these deeply moving works.”
- “It’s been an honour to accompany the inspired musical direction of Jeremy Backhouse, one of the great unsung talents of the world of conducting.”
- “…it is hard to imagine that it could be performed better than by Jeremy Backhouse and his superb choir.”
- “Jeremy Backhouse’s excellent Vasari Singers performed it not just accurately, but with bags of heart & soul as well… sincere, intelligent & admirably.”
- “What’s most impressive is the extraordinarily careful pacing with which Jeremy Backhouse infuses Vaughan Williams’s Mass in G minor.”
“Inside my heart” is an inspiring and instantly memorable extract from the third movement of Will Todd’s “The City Garden”.
Vasari Singers is one of the leading chamber choirs in London and the UK. In its 32nd year, the choir performs a wide range of repertoire with passion and sensitivity to exacting standards and considerable acclaim.
Vivace Chorus has come a long way since it began over 60 years ago as the Guildford Philharmonic Choir, gaining over time an enviable reputation for concerts of the highest professionalism that promote future classics.
Salisbury Community Choir is a thriving choir with a membership of almost 200. The choir fulfils a very definite need within the community for people who simply want to come together and share their love for singing.